The closest to Normal (Illinois) that I've ever been.

Monday, June 2, 2008

Joseph is 5!


Joseph's birthday was yesterday! We had the party at the Children's Discovery Museum, which happens to be just a few blocks from our house in Uptown Normal. The kids LOVE the museum, and the museum has birthday packages including cake and pizza, so it seemed like a great place to have the party. The museum coordinator told Danny that the birthday package included games and activities, as well as access to the regular museum areas. I was delighted to not have to do anything but show up and pay!
However, when we got there, the "birthday helper" asked us if we brought decorations and games, and then led us into a completely empty room with tables and chairs, and told us that we would be in the EMPTY room for an HOUR for games, food, presents, etc., and then we could go out into the museum. I asked about the games, activities and decorations, and she produced a roll of paper and a box of markers and NOTHING MORE. I had a room full of kids and parents who were expecting a party and NO ENTERTAINMENT WHATSOEVER. I was VERY NOT AMUSED. Had I known that this would happen, I easily could have brought all of these things (or had the cake and pizza at home beforehand), but it was too late. I made up a pictionary game with the markers and paper to keep them busy, fed them the food, opened presents and then got the hell out of that room into the museum. The kids had a great time, though. Sam brought his friend Katana from TaeKwonDo, and the two of them seemed to have lots of fun, too.

Hooray! Another Bionicle!

As we were about to escape from the room of doom, someone from the museum brought in a poster birthday card for the kids to sign.

Building a castle for King Joseph

The dancing room

The bad farm animals try to blockade the train.

I went into the climbing structure to help some stuck kids. Believe me, it was a tight squeeze.

The only group picture that I could get was this one of the kids waiting for the elevator. As you might notice, Joseph is a little impatient to get to the next floor.

No comments: