The closest to Normal (Illinois) that I've ever been.

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Garden explosion


Our rental house in Normal has a garden plot in the backyard. (It looks like most houses around here do.) As a grad student, I never had enough time for a well-maintained garden, so I couldn't resist the opportunity. This spring I planted beans, tomatoes, peppers, watermelon, cantaloupe, zucchini, eggplant and some herbs. And while I was away at ISBE, the garden exploded!

The beans are pretty much done--they were quite good.

I planted 6 different heirloom tomatoes (plus Sweet 100's). They are really tasty! We have been eating tomato salads every day. Also, I had to go to a potluck today, and I made up a pretty good dish with tomatoes, parsley and basil in mixed brown rice with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Also, Penny the turtle has a pretty small and boring indoor enclosure and I wanted her to be able to be outside sometimes. I fenced the garden and tacked down the fencing, so Penny can patrol the veggies during the day without escaping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jealous!