The closest to Normal (Illinois) that I've ever been.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Pumpkin weekend


This weekend was all about the pumpkins. We bought carving pumpkins at the last Bloomington Farmer's Market of the season, which the kids carved with gusto.
Joseph's jack-o-lantern had a mean mouth but nice eyes.

Sam said that he was going for evil incarnate.

Sam, Joseph and Danny carving jack-o-lanterns

This week, NPR had a cheerful little piece about how it isn't hard to make your own pumpkin puree, but it is oh so much better than canned. So I decided to tackle cooking one of the enormous baking pumpkins that we got from Sam's teacher's farm. It took me HOURS to dismantle and puree that thing! It was like field-dressing a deer (and the kitchen looked about as messy). I made pumpkin bread and pumpkin soup, and I still have a freezer full of puree and three more pumpkins left to process. Thanks NPR!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like that last photo of your boys, one in motion with his hair flying, the other doing something snarky-adorable in the background.