The closest to Normal (Illinois) that I've ever been.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Beware the button police


Illinois State University has expressly stated that employees are not allowed to wear or display any political materials. Also, we are not allowed to discuss political views. Also, faculty are not allowed to attend political rallies on campus. Also, we may not perform activities of a political nature during our lunch hour. Also, we are not allowed to identify our affiliation with ISU in any way if we do any political work on our own time.
The pièce de résistance is that this week we were all required to take our 30-minute computerized ethics quiz. And on this quiz, they asked the question: "Can employees support a local political candidate?" And apparently, the correct answer was "Yes." Perhaps I misunderstand what they mean by support. Maybe we may be emotionally supportive, so long as we don't tell anyone or do anything about it.
So, I secretly, and on my own time, offer my emotional support to the candidate of my choice.

No comments: