The closest to Normal (Illinois) that I've ever been.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

More snow day


We are all still at home. The temperature never got to 0 today. I think that the high was -5 with a windchill of -33. The kids' schools and ISU were closed. Tonight it is supposed to go down to -22 (with windchill -40).

The news emphatically warns that no one should go outside unless absolutely necessary. This piece of information is eating me alive! All morning I gazed longingly out the window at the perfectly clear blue sky and brilliant white snowdrifts. I can't stand it when someone tells me not to do something--it makes me crazy to do the thing.
Luckily, I got an email from work telling us that even though the university was closed down, we should risk death and come in because we had a job candidate visiting and we really needed to hear his seminar. My reaction to this commandment is (not surprisingly) hell to the no. However, now that I am doing the opposite of what someone wants me to do, I can lie around and enjoy my home incarceration.

I went in to work yesterday while Danny watched the kids, so I watched the kids today. Activities of the day:
The kids and I did a thorough room cleaning.
We freed all of the small toy parts that were trapped in the crack in the play table.
We watched Yo Gabba Gabba. It was the episode about manners--so great!!
I did lots of laundry and cleaned the kitchen walls.
We built waterbugs out of Bionicles. (I answered many questions about water bug copulation and egg-carrying behavior, as well)
I made them open-face cheese melt sandwiches for lunch.
Joseph played with Legos
Sam practiced spelling bee practice words. (Including watching the Futurama song where Bender defines 'irony')
We baked foccacia.
We did yoga, including both real and child-invented poses.

Also, the dog is really disappointed with all of us. He spent a few hours outside, with me peeking out at him every 15 minutes to make sure that we wasn't dead. Every time I looked out, he looked back at me as if I were nuts. He was totally comfortable, sunning himself in a snowdrift and watching the crows. At our usual running time, Argos got all excited and I had to give him a bone to alleviate my guilt.

No comments: